Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Interview and connections and honors, oh my!

This week has been both exciting and scary for the same reasons... And it's only Wednesday!

On Monday, I was offered an interview at my top choice graduate school. I couldn't believe it. I had gotten an email the prior Wednesday stating that all of my application materials had been received and that they would begin to review everything. Sunday evening rolled around, which is when the application fee and transcripts were due, and I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing everything had already been submitted.

Fast-forward about 24 hours, and I read the email that said I was selected for an interview. I couldn't believe that I had been informed so soon. Needless to say, I was ecstatic (and still am) that I was chosen. As my residence hall director has advised me, I'm not putting all of my eggs in one basket, even though this basket is my top choice.

Today, I talked to an individual I know from when I had a work-study like position in a different office on campus who recently moved over to the Student Affairs division.  She is an absolutely incredible woman who I am so fortunate to know.  We talked for just about an hour, but in that hour, I realized how much passion I have for this field and how much I truly love it.

She helped me with some possible interview questions, eased some of my fears and trepidation that I was feeling, and simply just listened to my questions, as ridiculous as some of them probably were.

Having connections to people like this on campus make me glad I'm as involved as I am.  Sure, sometimes it all seems like a bit much, but looking back on how much I have done, I wouldn't change anything for the world.

I also learned earlier that I will be inducted into Pi Gamma Mu, which is the social sciences honors society.  Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about that!  During my freshman year of college, I was in a different major than I am now, and wasn't very happy.  As a result, my grades weren't the best, and I'll be the first to admit that.

However, after my freshman year, I not only changed my major, but I added two minor fields of study as well.  So, in only three years' time, I have completed all three of these things and changed my overall GPA from a 2.7 to my current 3.0 - and I couldn't be happier.

I'm excited to see what's next on the horizon for grad school and my future.  So, here we go...!

No comments:

Post a Comment