Saturday, January 28, 2012

I always enjoy your company

Every so often, I sit in my room at school and think. Sometimes for ten minutes, sometimes for an hour and ten minutes. I think about the assignments I have due for the week, what residence life duties I need to complete, and if I'll get into my first choice of graduate schools.

I wonder how different my life would be if I wasn't a Community Assistant. And then I realize how strange that concept seems. During the past three semesters of college, this job has been a huge part of who I am and who I'm becoming. If I didn't have this job, I would never have had the confidence to apply (and accept) a summer internship last year. I wouldn't have met people who have changed my life.

Sure, there are times where it all seems overwhelming and that five classes, six office hours, one night on-call, six-ten hours of work study, meetings, and more every week seems like insanity... But then there are those moments that I realize how truly happy I am in this job, in this field.

I experienced so many things my first year as a CA (2010-2011) that I often questioned reapplying. I had 44 residents, and it was difficult to main semblance of a community (not only was I still in the stages of being the somewhat clueless staff member, I lived on the first floor, so my residents were split).

However, I did wind up reapplying, and this year, I have 71 residents. Despite this stark increase, I wouldn't change it for the world. My residents are some of the funniest, most caring people I know. I keep my door open more and they stop in and say hi, they love the bulletin boards I make (which is one of my favorite parts of the job), and seem to really appreciate what I do.

Two nights ago, on Thursday, I was doing my final round through the building. I noticed a resident sitting by themselves in one of the lounges. I stopped and sat down, asking if they were okay. The resident opened up to me about an issue that they'd experienced the previous semester, talked about classes, and was just happy to have someone to talk to.

As we said good-bye nearly forty minutes later, they said something that made me realize why I love this job:

I always enjoy your company.

That single statement made my entire night, and helped me to realize it really is the little things that I do as a CA that helps my residents so much. I love helping them realize their potential, to see them achieve their goals, and grow as students and people.

No comments:

Post a Comment