Friday, February 17, 2012

Dear March: Bring it. ~Cary

I'm generally not a worrier. I'm a planner. I see things that need done, I do them (case in point: I recently re-did my residence hall's mailroom. I made sure the roster was up to date, that the combinations were correct, and assigned all of the new residents mailboxes). I hate seeing things go undone or not done at all. It irks me... just one of my little quirks.

Despite the fact there is a pile of bulletin board material on my floor (cut out for next week), a basket of shirts that need folded, and some class notes that need rearranged, I still consider myself a pretty organized person. The first programs of this semester are due today (Friday). I had my program last Tuesday and handed in the evaluation for it that Thursday. In addition, I also submitted my program proposal on this Tuesday and it was approved a short time later. Earlier today, I got funding for the program (and some extra, too, which was a nice surprise).

Even though it's only February 17 and my second program isn't due until March 30, I knew I had to get it done early. You might be asking yourself why I'm doing my program so early. Well, this is my March calendar (and with the busy life I lead, I won't be surprised to find myself adding more to it).

Dear March: Bring it.

Needless to say, it's going to be a busy month. But I'm ready for the challenge.

I'm also very excited about my program, which is probably why I keep mentioning it. Over the summer, I read about an organization called Project Linus. My aunt had also helped during an event to help the organization. Through blanket-making volunteers, Project Linus donates the handmade blankets to children who are "seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need" (http://projectlinus.org/).

I'm also meeting with an individual on campus next week to discuss making this a volunteer opportunity/community service hours project.  I'm hoping to get a lot of people involved with this program because I absolutely love volunteer work and helping the community at large, while also engaging others to do the same (my internship last summer allowed me to do both - I was an intern at the American Red Cross).

I can't wait to see how many people are interested in helping with this program - here's hoping it's an awesome experience for everyone involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment